invia/condividi stampa feed rss

Town-planning order and territory

Town-planning order and territory

Chignolo d'isola is placed in the heart of the Island, of which it vaguely imitates the form of a triangle with the tip downwards. In 1928 Chignolo was unified to Madone and got the name of Centrisola just to underline the central place among the River Adda, the River Brembo and Mount Canto.
In a clockwise direction Chignolo borders on Terno, Bonate Sopra, Bonate Sotto, Madone, Bottanuco, Suisio and Medolago.

Although the territory is placed in a plain, it also offers small hollows and rivers and seems to be laid down on a wide terrace.
The rivers crossing the territory are the Dordo, the Grandone, the Buliga and the Bulighetto.
The village of Chignolo lies decentralised if compared with the great traffic lines which, especially in old times, led from ports on the River Brembo near Bergamo to the ports on the River Adda in Capriate and in Villa d'Adda.

Nevertheless, just because of its central position, the territory was crossed by a thick net of secondary roads which connected the different villages of the island. The present road system largely imitates the old one, with irregular and winding lines even of main roads.