invia/condividi stampa feed rss

Historical Buildings

Palazzo Roncalli

The Roncalli Palace
Residence of the nobility with U-plan. "the palace of deliciousness of the above praised noble family….shows how once upon a time this village was fortified with a castle as fashion"
So did Giovanni Maironi write at the beginning of the nineteenth century, when the earls Roncalli, noble family coming from Roncaglia of Cepino in Val Imagna, carried out a fundamental modification of the building risen on the basis of an old castle already existing in the 12 century.
Since then, the palace had had to appear as a austere building, all closed around a courtyard and partially surrounded by gardens. Adjoining was an oratory dedicated to St. Peter of Alcatara.
The rooms were richly decorated to celebrate the family pomp with some of the most beautiful frescos in the Bergamask territory.

During the XVIII and XIX century the Roncalli family had the palace restored which was in most part demolished, and only the southern side was kept.
The western side wasn't rebuilt in order that from the central body you could overlook the whole Bedesco.
To the Chignolo Palace all those buildings were adjoined which were necessary to manage a large property, from the wine-press to the spinning-mill, from the drying-room for cereals to a large farm with spacious barns placed between the palace and the old parish Church, at the slope limits. Even today you can admire some rooms painted in frescos and recently restored, with works, among others, of Giovan Battista Botticchio, one of the most important representatives of the painting school in Crema of 1600.

 
Churches

The Churches
As time passed, this Church was increasingly abandoned by people, who used it only now and then for the celebration of St. Peter's feast
Even St. Mary's was later on replaced by the Sanctuary (of which it occupied the current consecrated ground) after about two centuries since it couldn't contain the population any longer which counted 250 inhabitants in 1535 and about twice in 1700.
In 1746 St. Mary's was demolished and its choir transformed into the Horatory of St. Rocco, later on called of the Addolorata (part of the building against the belfry.
The Sanctuary, which in the meantime had become parish Church, was embellished and adorned thanks to people's generosity: worth mentioning the Serassi's organ, the vestments, the decoration of "forty-eight hours" and the pictures.
But the population was growing and the church was becoming too small.
So they decided to build a new building. In 1870 the project was approved and 15 years later the "new Church" was ended in its general structure. It was definitely opened to worship in 1886

 
Fountains

Fountains
From an architectural point of view, the style of the two peripheral fountains in Chignolo is a light and elegant baroque; therefore they could date back to the second half of 18th century. It is thought that the fountains were required by the noble family of Roncalli in order to provide their people with water and public slop sink.
Such fountains were planned not only for domestic uses and irrigation purposes, but also for washing, as proved by their geometric form.
The fountains are made of "botticino" marble, which is very similar to the calcareous one from Zandobbio from which it differs because of the presence of fossils.
The fountain of Roncalli street has got two bathtubs, one parallel to the other, and with the front modelled by inferior and superior volutes turned towards the smaller bathtub.
In the fountain of XXV April street the two bathtubs are, on the contrary, opposite with the main panel in the middle, modelled as concentric circles and turned towards the smaller bathtub.
The vertical panel is the geometric and ornamental element which distinguishes the two fountains and it is ornate on both sides even if the main front has got more relief. Both bathtubs of the two fountains communicate by means of some linking holes.